Many studies have shown that people benefit from learning a foreign language at any age.
Whether you are interested in the language for travel, connecting with family, boosting your personality or any other reason, the following advantages demonstrate just how beneficial it is to learn a foreign language at any time.Research has proven that children who study a foreign language have shown an increase in problem solving skills; these skills also help the children in other curriculum such as math and science. In addition, they tend to get higher scores in math, reading and English assessments. Here are some other benefits to learning a foreign language during youth and adolescence:
- Enhance mental development
- Improve listening skills
- Improve the understanding of the child’s native language
- Open the door to understanding people who are different from themselves
- Give them a jump start on the language requirements for college
- May increase their future job opportunities
- Improves relationships in multi-cultural couples
- Increase life satisfaction when the language is passed on to children and younger generations
- Enhances memory and decreases the chances of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- It is also beneficial to learn a foreign language during this time of the life-span so that traveling becomes easier
- This unique talent can also be passed onto children and grandchildren.